Waiting...
Have you ever noticed that you cannot help but always be in a constant state of waiting? I first realized this when I was in Bangkok waiting to pick up my visa from the Bangladesh Embassy. On the day in which I finally got my visa, I spent much of the day trying to find things to fill my time with. Whether it was a coffee shop or a park bench, I found that all of my activities were for one purpose, to entertain myself while I waited. I could go on and on about that one day and how one wait led to another, but you already know what I'm talking about.
Waiting doesn't always appear the same. Sometimes we work hard to get a certain thing taken care of and in the back of our mind we are waiting for either the next task at hand or the chance to say "I'm finished."
People who are single might be waiting for that special someone while people who are well established and older are waiting for another grandchild. We might not all be waiting for the same things, but we always are waiting.
Life is full of waiting. My time at the University of Iowa was really no different than the times that I spend in an airport. In airports I sit and wait for my flight to leave as there are hundreds upon thousands of people doing the same thing and in a university the situation is the same. We are all waiting to go somewhere.
Where are you now? What are you waiting for now? There are some things that we wait for and we have good reason to wait. A dentist won't allow you to budge in front of everyone else and say "look at my teeth now!" Instead a receptionist has you wait and read the last month's issue of Time while you wait. But at the same time we wait when we don't need to. Have you ever seen that car waiting to go at a stale green light? Sometimes that's us. We have the green light and yet we don't go. Sometimes we see the green light and other times we don't want to acknowledge that the light is green.
Although we are always waiting for something, we usually end up waiting for ourselves the most. Who hasn't waited until the last possible minute to do something that they could've done much sooner? What makes waiting to take out the garbage any different from waiting to do something that you are fully capable of as right now?
Think about it...
Thursday, July 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment