Monday, December 11, 2006

I can remember reading books about Europe during World War 2 and how there were soldiers everywhere. I would picture in my mind a world with armed soldiers at every corner and truck loads of soldiers going from place to place. On Sunday, I felt like I was in the story.

On Sunday, the caretaker government deployed the military throughout the country. The purpose of having the military everywhere is to prevent any possible blockade and to keep the country running smoothly. It's an interesting time. Last night I visited my friend Bri on the other side of town. I have actually become rather accustomed now to traveling to this area of town known as Mohomadpur. My friends from MCC stay in this area when they are in town and last week's free time gave me a chance to get out more and so now the trip feels like second nature. Anyways, as I was riding in my CNG I saw what seemed like a continual outsourcing of troops from a military base. As my CNG drove past the science museum, I noticed guards posted where none had been before. Today it was the same thing as I walked around my side of town, I saw countless men in uniform sitting in trucks, waiting for something to possibly happen.

To catch up from my last blog, I will let you know a few highlights. I had a softball game on Friday, followed by youth group, followed by church followed by a potluck dinner. The potluck dinner was being put on by the church at various homes. I had mine at Carolyn Shaffer's. She is a teacher at the American School and has so many interesting stories to tell. She in an American and spent many years in Africa before coming to Dhaka. It was really nice to spend some time there. My friends Reba and Joyce were able to come as well. There were also 4 of my youth at this dinner, so it was a good chance to hang out with them.

On Saturday I spent the first half of my day hanging out with my friends Reba and Cicely. We hung out around the Mohomadpur/Donmundi area of Dhaka. This is essentially the downtown of Dhaka. It was fun seeing a few new places. I even picked me up a hammock. Overall, it was a good time. Then on Saturday night I had dinner at my friend Kate's and watched "Stranger Than Fiction" with Kate, Annabel and Isaac.

As for Sunday...I guess I already talked a bit about that. So that brings me back to now. This is my last week of normal youth groups. I don't know what I'll do when I find myself with time next week. Who knows? Hopefully by then I'll have a better grip on my winter plans...

No comments: