Friday, November 24, 2006

This last week has been back to work for me. I originally had planned to stay in Mymensingh through Tuesday, so my workload wasn't too much right away. I spent my Monday as my day off. I usually take Sunday's off. On Monday night I got back into my normal routine with a Bible study and before that I met with two of my friends, Kate and Annabel, who help with OIC. It was nice to get a new course of direction for OIC and to hear their ideas.

Tuesday was more like a Monday for me. I normally work-out on Mondays, but this week I did it on Tuesday. Afterward I had my weekly meeting with my boss and I now have the dates for when I can take off if I want to. So that's good, all I need now is my visa to leave the country which apparently should be coming soon.

On Tuesday I also had the chance to meet a really amazing artists who is here from Nepal for the next 2 years. His name is Govinda and his work is really inspiring. He is using art to promote peace.

You know that great feeling you get when you introduce someone to a new restaurant only to get sick yourself? Well, that happened to me on Wednesday. There is a restaurant close to where I live that for most of my time here, has been my favorite. It not only has good food, it also has tv, video games and internet. I really enjoy the atmosphere that it creates but I don't think I can say that I enjoy the food as much anymore. After introducing my friend Chelsea to this place I found myself with a stomach ache that is still with me today. As strange as it is, 2 of the 3 times that I've been sick have been due to western food.

Thursday was Thanksgiving. One of the families from my church, the Thayers, invited me over for a Thanksgiving lunch. It was great to eat a full Thanksgiving meal and spend time with the family and their friends. In the expat community, everyone tends to celebrate these sort of holidays together when they can't make it back home. Christmas will be very much the same.

On Thursday afternoon I still had the youth groups. Surprisingly, there were still a few Americans that came but overall attendance was low in general. Apparently rumors had started saying that the youth groups weren't meeting since there was no school. School was cancelled at Grace due to teacher's day and at the American School due to Thanksgiving. The youth groups did go really well though and the new formats that we have for them appears to be working much better.

Finally, I had the chance last night on my way home to get a picture of the Dhaka evening traffic that is all but typical in other countries. Bumper to bumper traffic, rickshaws, and of course, cattle. As strange as I find this to be, there was a local man who thought it strange for me to take this picture. So who is the crazy one? Probably me...

No comments: