It has now been almost a week since I left the US to come to Dhaka, yet only 24 hrs since I was last on US soil. Yesterday I went to the US Embassy in Dhaka. It is located only minutes away from where I am. A new friend of mine, Charlene, works there and had my friend Isaac (also new) and I come over for lunch. Isaac and I tried to also register with the embassy in order to let them know that we live in Dhaka, but the paperwork needed was more than what we had on us. So instead we will register online.
So far my time here has been exciting. I have been doing a lot of taking in. There are a lot of things here that are different from home. For one, driving. Everyone here drives on the left hand side of the road, not too difficult to figure out. Along with that driving there are rickshaws, 3 wheeled taxi-like things that are kind of like a bike with a driver peddling his way around. The speed of a rickshaw varies with the strength of the driver. Another thing that is different here is the electricity. There are rolling blackouts that occur and it is not very uncommon for the electricity to go out on a daily basis. In looking at apartments, we have made sure to ask if they have a generator. Finally another thing that is different is price. The prices here are lower than they are in the states for everything and it is pretty common for people to have cooks and drivers.
As I briefly mentioned, I am looking around for an apartment. We are close to sealing the deal with a nice apartment that is close to a commercial area. The process for looking has been different because not only is it for me, but it will also be the home to the youth group. The apartment we've found is a great size for entertaining a youth group, having an office and enough space for me to live. I will post pictures of whatever apartment I move into soon.
That reminds me, pictures are currently not happening. Not due to any computer error, but due to my own forgetfulness. I have left my camera in the states and I will most likely get a camera here.
Thanks again for all of your support. Feel free to email me any comments at tcpeters02@gmail.com. Be blessed.
Monday, July 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment